Cooking is a process of creation. It needs the right ingredients, spices, and cooking utensils to create a dish. The knife is surely an important factor for cooking. It does the hard work of preparing the ingredients becoming the common utility in the kitchen. You can get baffled when you see the thousands of knife in the market and not knowing the what features you must look into while buying.
So, here a list of 5 best chef’s knives with a detailed list of pros and cons.
1Mac Knife MTH-80 Professional Hollow Edge Chef’s Knife
The Mac Knife MTH-80 Professional Hollow Edge Chef’s Knife thin blade allows you to cut and slice food easily making it a perfect instrument for both home and professional kitchen. The added dimples help the knife to glide through sticky foods such as potatoes, squash, and apples. The handle is made of pakkawood provides a strong grip.
- This is super sharp. You need to be extra cautious while using this. The thin blades slice through any food in a consistent manner giving you paper-thin slices.
- Sticky food is not a problem with this razor-sharp knife. Chop food evenly and precise with minimal efforts.
- You don’t have to put a lot of force into chopping. Gentle force gives you excellent slicing results
- The is no need to re-sharpen the blade frequently.
- The razor-sharp blade can be dangerous to use. Change your chopping technique or wear gloves before using it.
- It is not dishwasher safe. Hand wash it but with caution.
- It is not made up of stainless steel so don’t keep it in water for a long time.
- The metal is a bit soft.
2Shun Classic 8” Chef’s Knife with VG-MAX Cutting Core and Ebony PakkaWood Handle
Corrosion-resistant and extremely durable with cobalt and carbon core, Shun Classics 8” Chef’s Knife with VG-MAX Cutting Core and Ebony PakkaWood Handle is the perfect sharp knife for your kitchen. The 8 inches knife gives you consistent slices with minimal efforts. The handles are made up of pakka wood which makes the handle durable and water-resistant, perfect for cleaning. It is made up of 32 layers of Damascus steel with tang going the full length of the handle.
- The sharp blade can chop food with amazing precision and gives you paper-thin slices.
- There is no need to apply force while chopping. The sharpness is enough to give you the desired results.
- It is not a heavy knife and not too light, perfect for use.
- The handle is well built and secure to use. It has a very well balanced between the blade and the handle.
- Shun offers a free lifetime knife sharpening service.
- They stay sharpened for a long time.
- The blade is not durable around the narrow edge which chips easily. Avoid heavy chopping especially around the bone area.
- The blade is very thin from the dropping point. It can bend or chip from any rough handle.
- It is not dishwasher safe.
3Global G-2 8-inches Chef’s Knife
The Global G-2 8-inches Chef’s Knife is made up of high-quality CROMOVA 18 stainless steel which makes it strong and increases the retention of the sharpness, yet it is soft enough to sharpen easily. The high percentage of chromium in the metal gives the knives resistance against rust and staining.
The razor-sharp edge unlike other westernized knife whose tip edges are steeply at a point, this knife uses a beveled edge. This makes the knife to stay sharp for a long time and durable.
- The Global G-2 8-inches Chef’s Knife is lightweight making it easy to use and cut with precision.
- Since the blade and handle are made up of the same material, it is easy to handle them.
- It has a good handle grip. The handle has a sand-like texture around the handle which helps in having a tighter grip.
- The knife is prone to water spot. Make sure to wipe off the water after cleaning it.
- Since the blade is made up of molybdenum and vanadium stainless steel, its blade has less sharp than the other knife discussed.
- The handle is small, so if you have a large hand, it might not be the best experience for you if you’re intending to work long.
4Wusthof Classic Ikon 6-inches Cook’s Knife
Just like the perfect balance between the blade and weight, it has the perfect balance between its design and its work. The handle is made of a highly durable polyoxymethylene material. It prevents fading and discoloration. Wusthof Classic Ikon 6-inches Cook’s knife is perfect to chop, mince, dice and slice thick vegetables and meats.
- The razor sharpness of the knife can cut through thicker ingredients with ease.
- It is made up of carbon metal which makes it durable, long-lasting and less prone to chipping. It is also made up of stainless steel.
- The knife has a nice balance between the weight and blade. It may not be light but it is comfortable to use and provides the right balance to use.
- Wusthof Classic Ikon 6-inches Cook’s Knife will give you paper-thin slices with its excellent precision.
- The blade is sharp around the edge where the blade meets with the handle. It is can dangerous if it is not used with precaution.
- The tip of the blade is curved to a point in such a way that you have to elevate your hand to a certain height to chop.
5Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professionals Chef’s Knife
The excellent design is perfect in precision, the stability of the blade and steel structure, thus improving the sharpness of the blade. The edge is laser-controlled making it sharper for a long period of time. The super bolster provides weight to the Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professionals Chef’s Knife, ensures safety, and adds balance. The tang construction provides proper balance and greater strength.
- The Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professionals Chef’s Knife is very sharp and it is easy to use.
- The laser-controlled edge gives a more consistent blade angle.
- The super bolster and tang construction. provides the right balance and strength to use the knife keeping security under consideration.
- High carbon and stainless steel quality increases the durability and makes it rust-resistant.
- It is heavy.