Cooking is a process of creation. It needs the right ingredients, spices, and cooking utensils to create a dish. The fillet knife is surely an important factor for cooking especially while cutting foods such as the fish and the meat. You can get baffled when you see the thousands of fillet knives in the market and not knowing what features you must look into while buying.
Our List of 5 Best Fillet Knives
1. Mac Knife MTH-80 Professional Hollow Edge Chef’s Knife
The Mac Knife MTH-80 Professional Hollow Edge Chef’s Knife thin blade allows you to cut and slice food easily making it a perfect instrument for both home and professional kitchen. The added dimples help the knife to glide through sticky foods such as potatoes, squash, and apples. The handle is made of pakkawood provides a strong grip.
- This is super sharp. You need to be extra cautious while using this. The thin blades consistently slice through any food giving you paper-thin slices.
- Sticky food is not a problem with this razor-sharp knife. Chop food evenly and precisely with minimal efforts.
- You don’t have to put a lot of force into chopping. Gentle force gives you excellent slicing results
- The is no need to re-sharpen the blade frequently.
- The razor-sharp blade can be dangerous to use. Change your chopping technique or wear gloves before using it.
- It is not dishwasher safe. Hand wash it but with caution.
- It is not made up of stainless steel so don’t keep it in water for a long time.
- The metal is a bit soft.
2. Shun Classic 8” Chef’s Knife with VG-MAX Cutting Core and Ebony PakkaWood Handle
Corrosion-resistant and extremely durable with cobalt and carbon core, Shun Classics 8” Chef’s Knife with VG-MAX Cutting Core and Ebony PakkaWood Handle is the perfect sharp knife for your kitchen. The 8 inches knife gives you consistent slices with minimal efforts. The handles are made up of pakka wood which makes the handle durable and water-resistant, perfect for cleaning. It is made up of 32 layers of Damascus steel with tang going the full length of the handle.
- The sharp blade can chop food with amazing precision and gives you paper-thin slices.
- There is no need to apply force while chopping. The sharpness is enough to give you the desired results.
- It is not a heavy knife and not too light, perfect for use.
- The handle is well built and secure to use. It has a very well balanced between the blade and the handle.
- Shun offers a free lifetime knife sharpening service.
- They stay sharpened for a long time.
- The blade is not durable around the narrow edge which chips easily. Avoid heavy chopping especially around the bone area.
- The blade is very thin from the dropping point. It can bend or chip from any rough handle.
- It is not dishwasher safe.
3. Global G-2 8-inches Chef’s Knife
The Global G-2 8-inches Chef’s Knife is made up of high-quality CROMOVA 18 stainless steel which makes it strong and increases the retention of the sharpness, yet it is soft enough to sharpen easily. The high percentage of chromium in the metal gives the knives resistance against rust and staining.
The razor-sharp edge unlike other westernized knives whose tip edges are steeply at a point, this knife uses a beveled edge. This makes the knife to stay sharp for a long time and durable.
- The Global G-2 8-inches Chef’s Knife is lightweight making it easy to use and cut with precision.
- Since the blade and handle are made up of the same material, it is easy to handle them.
- It has a good handle grip. The handle has a sand-like texture around the handle which helps in having a tighter grip.
- The knife is prone to water spots. Make sure to wipe off the water after cleaning it.
- Since the blade is made up of molybdenum and vanadium stainless steel, its blade has less sharp than the other knife discussed.
- The handle is small, so if you have a large hand, it might not be the best experience for you if you’re intending to work long.
4. Wusthof Classic Ikon 6-inches Cook’s Knife
Just like the perfect balance between the blade and weight, it has the perfect balance between its design and its work. The handle is made of a highly durable polyoxymethylene material. It prevents fading and discoloration. Wusthof Classic Ikon 6-inches Cook’s knife is perfect to chop, mince, dice, and slice fish and meats.
- The razor sharpness of the knife can cut through thicker ingredients with ease.
- It is made up of carbon metal which makes it durable, long-lasting, and less prone to chipping. It is also made up of stainless steel.
- The knife has a nice balance between the weight and blade. It may not be light but it is comfortable to use and provides the right balance to use.
- Wusthof Classic Ikon 6-inches Cook’s Knife will give you paper-thin slices with its excellent precision.
- The blade is sharp around the edge where the blade meets with the handle. It is can dangerous if it is not used with precaution.
- The tip of the blade is curved to a point in such a way that you have to elevate your hand to a certain height to chop.
5. Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professionals Chef’s Knife
The excellent design is perfect in precision, the stability of the blade and steel structure, thus improving the sharpness of the blade. The edge is laser-controlled making it sharper for a long period. The super bolster provides weight to the Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professionals Chef’s Knife, ensures safety, and adds balance. The tang construction provides proper balance and greater strength.
- The Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professionals Chef’s Knife is very sharp and it is easy to use.
- The laser-controlled edge gives a more consistent blade angle.
- The super bolster and tang construction. provides the right balance and strength to use the knife keeping security under consideration.
- High carbon and stainless steel quality increases the durability and makes it rust-resistant.
- It is heavy.
Also, Read Best Cookware Sets You can Buy on Amazon
What to look for while buying the best fillet knife?
Cooking is one of the daily routines of your life. And it should be done efficiently with the right ingredients, utensils, and tools. A good knife is one of the essential tools that you need to cook anything. It helps you cut, chop, and dice your vegetables, meat, and fish. But if you cook meat or fish daily, then you must buy a good quality fillet knife. A fillet knife is specially made for filleting fish or chicken. This is a must-have tool in your kitchen. It can be tricky while buying the perfect one. Confused about which one to buy, don’t worry, we are here to help you. Here is our guide for buying the ideal fillet knife for your kitchen.
Knives are made of various materials. But most of the fillet knives are made of stainless steel as these get wet most of the time. Some of them come with additional chromium in the blades for resisting corrosion. The stainless steel ones are a little difficult to sharpen as the material is very thick and robust. So look for something that has medium hardness for better performance. But then there is carbon stainless steel which is easy to sharpen and rust-free which resists corrosion. However, the carbon stainless steel knives are mostly expensive because of the premium build quality for a high-quality, sharp blade. Now that you know about the best kind of material, you can choose accordingly.
Construction: Forged or Stamped
Now you might have to choose between a forged or stamped one. So first let’s discuss the difference between them.
Forged means hot-drop, which means the blacksmith, applies extreme heat to the piece of steel and keeps hitting it with the hammer until it reaches the desired shape and size. But when they cool off, they become durable and robust. These kinds of knives will last you for a lifetime if taken care of properly. These are handcrafted, so it is easy to sharpen them, and they are less prone to any damage or bending. These are strong so that it won’t be that flexible. The blades are durable and high quality; they are a bit expensive than the stamped ones.
The stamped knives are made in the machine. It is made from a large thick sheet of metal which is later on cut by a tool to make knives. Then the handle is attached, and the blades are sharpened later. Due to fewer production charges, most of the companies are manufacturing using this process. These are affordable and possess top-notch flexibility. But these are not as durable and effective as the forges ones.
So, from the above points discussed you can now choose between what will be the best choice for you.
Keeping it Sharp
The sharpness of the knives is one of the most important factors to consider. As discussed earlier, stainless steel knives are sharp but hard to sharpen. And carbon steel knives are easy to sharpen. But you still need to sharpen your knife at least after a period of regular use. So here are some methods and tips for doing it correctly. There are three methods to sharpen a knife.
It is also called the handheld sharpener which comes with two sharpening slots, Fine Slot and Core Slot. For the excellent slot, all you have to do is slide your knife 3-5 times in one of the slots without any pressure. And for the core slot, you might need to put a bit pressure on it as there will be more friction while using it. You might lose some steel too. But the result will be worth it.
A Whetstone is a piece of stone in a rectangular shape. It is mostly used to sharpen your metal tools. You can also use a whetstone to sharpen your blunt knife. Before using it, soak in water for 5-10 minutes and place it on a non-slippery place. And then start grinding it with considering the angels and sides. And clean the knives properly after done.
This one comes with a secure handle for ease of use. This comes with more than one sharpening stick and extremely easy to use. There are two ways to sharpen in this system, either you can keep the knife in the holder securely and start sliding, or you can drag it on the different slots given to get your desired effect.
Filleting a fish or meat can be a little tough to do if you are not holding the knife with a bad grip. So another thing to consider is the handle and its material. A good handle will ensure the correct comfort, balance, and hold. For the desired precision, you need to choose the right handle type. Handles come basically in these four types
In ancient time’s wood was the only option to make handles for tools. But in this modern time, people don’t appreciate wooden handles anymore. It might be pretty lightweight and easy to carry, but it soaks water as well, which makes it slippery and difficult to hold. But there are still some manufacturers who are using wooden handles to make it look more traditional.
Plastic is used by most manufacturers to reduce the cost price of the knives and to provide it to more consumers. It is more durable than wooden ones and less slippery. But the only problem with these kinds of handles is that the fragments of the food can stick to it and might cause any reaction. So after every use, it is better to wash the tool carefully in water.
Rubber is perfect for your knife. It is fantastic to hold for a better grip. And it doesn’t slip even if your hands are wet and provides comfort when you are working with it. It is easier to clean than the rest. Although it might adapt the scent of the fish or meat, it’s nothing a simple cleaning with soap can’t fix.
Then there is pitted metal, the grip might be a tad bit uncomfortable but it is not that bad. As the handle is made of metal it is super hygienic and doesn’t catch any odor. And because of the material not much debris of the food sticks to it.
Now that you know everything about the handles pick one that suits your preference the best.
Size and Weight
You should consider the size and weight of the knife before buying one. And also think about the size of the fish and meat you are going to cut. So, according to the standard sizes, a 6-9 inch blade will be pretty universal and easy to use when it comes to filleting, chopping, and dicing. And also look into the weight of the knife, as a more substantial tool will not give you much precision, and it might not be easy to use. So try looking for something lightweight and flexible as well for easy use.
The more flexible the blade is the fewer chances of it cracking. An unbendable edge will easily break. That is why every knife needs to be flexible to cut or fillet the fish or meat easily, even it has thick skin. So look for a blade that is lightweight and flexible enough so that you don’t need to face any difficulties while you are performing with it on the cooking table.
You can find any filleting knife that is affordable or expensive. But remember, the expensive ones have more premium quality and last longer than cheap ones. So try to invest in a premium quality knife that costs around 80 to 120 dollars. This will last you a lifetime and you get better precision too.
Now that you know what kind of knife you should buy here are some tips on how to maintain it. Taking care of your blades can lead you to a long-lasting and better experience. That is why do not put them in a dishwasher unless it is dishwasher safe. Putting it in there can lead to bluntness and slow down the overall performance of your tool. So try to wash it carefully with water and some soap, do not use detergent. And make sure you dry it thoroughly before putting it anywhere. Place it on a knife block or shelf or in a separate drawer, do not put on it the spoon stands. And avoid too much soaking in the water.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Why do I need a fillet knife?
You need a special fillet knife to fillet fish and cut or chop meat easily. These kinds of knives are more durable than normal knives and last for a longer time.
Q. Can I cut salmon with it?
Yes, you surely can. Salmon has thick skin so using a good quality fillet knife is better.
Q. Can I use it to chop chicken breast?
Yes, this tool can be used to chop, mince, or cut chicken breasts and other meats as well.
Q. What size will be good enough to fillet everything?
The ideal size will be 6-9 inches as this size is perfect enough to cut through any kind of meat or fish.
Q. How do I sharpen it?
There are knife sharpeners available in the market in which you can easily sharpen your blunt knife. We also have shared some tips on how to do it properly above.
Q. Can I put it in a dishwasher?
Do not put it in the dishwasher as not all of them are dishwasher safe. Putting them in there can lead to bluntness in the blade and it might ruin the handle as well. Read the instruction before putting it in the dishwasher to check whether that particular tool can take it or not.
Q. What are the extra benefits of using the best fillet knife?
This kind of blades minimizes the skin loss while butchering it and it is easier for you to fillet the meat if you use it.
Q. How is it different than a carving knife?
A carving knife is much wider and longer and only can cut through flesh, whereas the fillet knife can cut through the bones easily.
Q. How do I clean it properly?
Just clean it in water properly using some soap. Do not use any detergent and don’t put it in a dishwasher.
Q. How do I choose the best fillet knife?
A good fillet knife will have great flexibility, good grip, lightweight, and a sharp blade.
Our pick from the above list of Fillet Knives
Shun Classic Knife VGMAX is our pick from the above list. It is perfect for filleting fish and meat. The 8-inch blade has extra chromium with a stainless steel body to provide less corrosion and more durability. It not too heavy or too light; it has the perfect amount of sharpness as well. The handle is made of ebony pakkawood which is water-resistant for a better grip. You can easily fillet any meat or fish with a knife. So this is what we will recommend to our lovely readers.
The demand for perfect cutlery is ever-growing; there are many options in the market; consumers do get confused about what to buy and which is good. A balanced and useful knife is hard to find. So we hope we have cleared all your doubts in this above article. A fillet knife is a must-have if you love eating sea-food and meat. Every knife is different than the other, so choose your companion wisely. Go for a premium blade with the excellent build quality for effortless cutting and chopping experience. But above all, whatever you are doing, make sure to use it carefully and even if you are not good at it. And remember, practice makes you perfect. So, get a good one cook that yummy meal!
Also Read: The Best Air Fryers 2022